A Cardinal House       

Welcome to

(860) 633-8109

2205 Main Street
​Glastonbury, Connecticut

  • ​The application asks for your name, age, race, birthplace, residence and marital status. You must swear that the information you give is true.
  • The application fee is Thirty dollars ($30.00). Call the Town Clerk's office before going to verify hours open, if an appointment is needed and whether cash or check is acceptable.
  • There is no blood test requirement to obtain a marriage license in Connecticut.
  • The license will be issued immediately after all requirements have been met. It must be signed by the bride and groom and the Town Clerk who also stamps it with a raised seal. The license is valid for sixty-five(65) days.
  • There is no residency requirement in Connecticut; both bride and groom may live elsewhere.​
  • You must apply for the marriage license in the town where the marriage ceremony is to take place. This is a change from the previous law.
  • Both the prospective bride and groom must apply for the license in person but not necessarily together. If the application is signed by the parties on different dates, then the earlier date is considered the official application date.
  • You must show a photo ID, such as a driver's license with a current address or a passport. Some towns may want two forms of photo ID.
  • You will be asked to give the name of the town in which the ceremony will be performed.
  • If either the bride or groom is under eighteen (18), a parent must consent to the marriage by signing the back of the license. If under sixteen (16), a Probate Judge must also endorse the consent.​
  • Although you must get married in the town that you indicate on the license, the J.P. who performs the ceremony need not have been appointed in that town. A Connecticut Justice of the Peace may perform marriages anywhere in the state.
  • Connecticut does not require any witnesses to the marriage.
  • The J.P. is responsible for indicating the time and place of the marriage on the license and returning it to the Town Clerk's office in the town in which the marriage ceremony took place.  This must be done by the first week of the month following the marriage.
  • You can request a copy of the completed marriage license from the Town Clerk's office. The cost is Ten (10) dollars.
  • Glastonbury Town Clerk's office recommends that an appointment be made in advance to apply for the marriage license. The telephone number is: 860 652-7616.

All Small Wedding and Elopement Packages at A Cardinal House require a valid Connecticut marriage license. We will gladly accompany you on the short walk down historic Main Street to the Town Hall where you can apply for your marriage license. You will need to make an appointment with the Town Clerk's Office in advance.

Below is a list of the facts concerning applying for a Marriage License in the State of Connecticut as of October 1, 2009.

A Special Place for Small Weddings and Elopements

Applying for Your Connecticut Marriage License